look basically the same to the average observer, but there are major differences
in years models. I would like to point these out, to inform you of
what is what. This is all from my head, so I can't be 100% sure,
but I believe I am fairly accurate. I'll try to lay them out
by features and years or group of years available.
First the predecessor
to the FJ-40 was the FJ-25. It was Toyota's interpretation of the
old flat fender Jeeps. I know Cruiser guys hate to admit it, but
it is true. They were built until the early 60's. Then come
||F Engine -
3878 cc's with 120 hp and 200 ft/lbs of torque. These engines are
best spotted by the metal valve cover gasket, side-of-block oil filler
neck. These engines were in FJ-40's until '74.
- 4230 cc's with 135 hp and 210 ft/lbs of torque. Easily spotted
by the aluminum valve cover. These engines appeared in '75 and went
through the rest of the FJ-40 series.
3 speed transmission
- through midyear of '74, it was column shift in the early years,
mainly before '72 allot have been converted over to floor shifters/
4 speed transmission
- from late '74 up. If it is a '75 or later it should have a 4 speed
Smog Pump -
This item starting being put on engines in late '72 and are still on Cruisers
- LandCruiser added it in the '79 year model
- First baking system of the FJ-40's and went through the '75 year model.
They feature twin pistons which cause the trickiness in adjusting.
- This was the biggest difference Toyota made in '76. They were added
to the front axle only and continued on.
PTO winch -
I have only seen a PTO winch on 3 spd Cruisers which would hold them to
the '74 year model. Some claim to have them stock on there '75's.
- These were the replacement to the PTO winch, I believe and they appear
to be Warn 8274 Models.
- From '79 up as a factory option. The factory unit is easiest to
recognize by its ND symbol. They also have a three groove crank
- From '79 up as a factory option. The steering columns on a P/S
truck and non P/S truck are different by 1 1/8".
Radio - Appearing
in the '74 year model, although only AM and located just above the heater
Carrier - '75 was the last year of this rattler, next was the tube carrier.
- Large round taillights until the 1973 FJ-40.
- '76 until the last FJ-40.
Bezel - '78 down
Bezel - '79 up
Windows - 1977 was the first year these appeared, the fold out for better
Out Rear Doors - This three door combo went through 1974.
Doors - '75 up Cruiser had these on them. They must be removed before
the top comes off.
Cowl Vent -
Allowed fresh air from outside at cowl inside, but prone to leaking, They
discontinued using it after the '77 year model.
- Added in '73, before there was a 40/60 bench.
Ox Blood Interior
- The first FJ-40's featured this color.
- In '68 Toyota went to this color.
- Only '79 ups have the darker gray interior.
Emergency Brake - '79 up have the lever in the floor, before they were
to the right of the steering wheel under the dash.
- Round center on all before '81, then they went to a shield design.
Wheels - Steel
with hubcaps before '81 after they used rounded steel white spoke wheels.
Roll Bar -
I think they were added in '73.